Sugar Freedom Week 3, Day 6
From a young age, we’ve been bribed with candy and other goodies in exchange for good behavior (“If you behave in the store, we can go get ice cream afterward!”) or bribed others with treats to accomplish a goal (“Buy something from my sugar-laden bake sale that promotes my cause!”) When you think about it, it’s a little ridiculous. Why do we desire food with processed sugar and other nasty additives in it, instead of natural sources of sugar that are also nutritious?
1. We see dessert and other indulgences as a reward.
2. Meals aren’t complete until we get dessert.
Instead of choosing sugar as a reward for a workout well done, or to top off a meal, I’ve been reaching for other sugarless treats this week. Frozen blueberries, almonds, peanuts, and sunflower seeds have been my snacky snacks of choice. Healthy fudge, healthy honey cookies, and super banana ice cream are nice occasional treats, too. Farmgirlfit also suggests these options:
Next time you’re craving a sweet after dinner, or any other time of day, try one of these alternatives. Most contain tryptophan, so may actually help you sleep better. This amino acid, which you’ve heard about in turkey, is actually found in lots of other foods. It produces serotonin, the brain chemical responsible for feelings of relaxation and well-being.
– Handful or 2 of almonds or mixed nuts (watch salt)
– 1 tablespoon of almond or peanut butter (no sugar added)
– Half banana or half apple (sliced) with a tablespoon of a nut butter
– Half apple sliced and sprinkled with cinnamon
– Stalk or 2 of celery spread with a tablespoon of nut butter
– Not sweet, but contain tryptophan: white meat (pork, chicken, turkey, fish), eggs, mushrooms, and broccoli
It IS possible to go sugarless when it comes to dessert and candy! 🙂
Progress Report Day 20
Pre-workout snack: Honey cookie.
Workout: 60 minutes BodyFlow (yoga, pilates, tai chi) at Gold’s Gym.
Breakfast: Cooked quinoa with chocolate protein powder.
Lunch: Homemade shredded buffalo chicken on a whole-wheat English muffin, topped with Tzatziki sauce.
Snack: Dried fruit and nut mix, sunflower seeds.
Dinner: Channa Masala, steamed veggies, Tzatziki sauce. Spoonful of peanut butter with chopped dried mango and coconut.
Snack: Frozen blueberries. Air-popped popcorn seasoned with cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.